May 19, 2011

The Best and Worst of Mother's Day

I've always considered myself a lucky woman.  I have three amazing sons and a husband who is more thoughtful than most.


My children often will cut a rose from our garden to surprise me.  My husband has bought me flowers once every other week since we married fourteen years ago.  He makes or buys coffee for me daily, cooks dinner for me at least three times a week, and is always the pancake king on Sunday mornings.

On Mother's Day, my posse of men have to step it up a notch to out do their generousity throughout the year.  This year among my pile of homemade gifts from the children, my husband brought me three dozen tulips, coffee, and a greeting card.  In addition, he washed my car, let me nap, made dinner for the family, and best of all, cleaned up the entire kitchen afterwards.  Yes, I'm spoiled and I love every moment of it.

Just when I thought my Mother's Day couldn't be topped, Robin Cazinha shared her Mother's Day experience with me.

"This year Kelly asked me what was the one thing I have always wanted.  I told her I've always wanted someone to write a song about me.  On Mother's Day she took my hands and asks me to sit.  She then proceeded to sing a song she wrote for me.  She gave me the song written out and decorated with hearts, kisses, and 'I love momma' all over it.  That was the best gift I have ever received," she said.

Erika Schmitz was also loved on with words of affection through poetry written by her son David.
There once was a mother
She was the best ever
I love her and never stop
Without her I'd be doing belly flops
I love her for cooking the best ever
I love her for being a puzzler
I love her for cleaning the house
And most of all, I love her for being her
I love you Mom
Dawna Leak, mother of four, also enjoyed her day of recognition.

"The  kids and Paul woke me up with breakfast and gifts.  Kasmine gave me her old pink teddy bear and the other kids gave me cards and candles.  I was also surprised to a brand new bike just for me.  In a family of six, it's nice to have something of my own," she shared.

Not every mother in town enjoyed their special day.

I friend who asked to be anonymous had just recently purchased a new home but the timing of her move wasn't convenient.

"I was moving on Mother's Day.  No gifts, no flowers, and no coffee in bed," she said.

The most common response I got when I asked my community of friends what their worst Mother's Day gift was "nothing at all."  One friend who asked to be anonymous shared her typical Mother's Day.

"My husband told me early on that I wasn't his mother and therefore he shouldn't have to get me a gift.  Not only did he never get a Father's Day gift but I eventually made up for all the giftless Mother's Day by divorcing him."

Sometimes Mother's Day gifts are not about the gifts themselves but the thought behind them.  Jennifer Gagnier, mother of four, learned this lesson the hard way.

"Years ago I got a stupid, ugly candle and a teddy bear figurine that wouldn't fit anyone's decor.  It  made me angry that an candle and knick knack was all I was worth as a mother.  When the candle fell and broke I was relieved," she admitted.

"Six years later, my sons Michael and Chad were talking with me about worst gifts ever.   I brought up the silly flower candle that was nothing more than a dust collector to me. That's when Chad let me know that his dad had let him personally pick that gift.   I had no idea the thought and love from a small child was what went into buying the gift.  I assumed these were last minute gift ideas of my husband Paul.  I apologized to Chad and have since then displayed the bear figurine and smashed wax bouquet of flowers."

Although I love being treated like a princess for the day, I am reminded daily of  three priceless gifts I have that no other mother can have-my sweet boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment